Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am on the drug klonopin only .25 mg every other day. Every…

I am on the drug...
I am on the drug klonopin only .25 mg every other day. Every time I take it now it knocks me on my feet in bed for quite awhile very out of it head feeling weak and unsteady when walking is this a normal reaction to this drug?
11/14/2017
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

There are a few factors that could contribute to this. If you had a recent weight loss or changed your diet or your activity level, all those could affect the way your body metabolizes certain mediations. Has anything changed at all?

No nothing

If nothing has changed then your body's metabolism of this medication has naturally shifted. That means that you will react strongly to medications in this class. However, you can have your doctor prescribe you a longer acting medication such as lorazepam or librium which won't make you feel so knocked out.

Does klonopin lower your bp as well?

It does. It lowers your blood pressure and it lowers muscle tone.

Ok thank you I have to get off of this stuff it make me cold and sweaty palms and shaky and lightheaded and weak. Will withdrawals be bad? Do I wean off slowly?

No, the dose is so low that withdrawals won't be bad at all.

If you have been on it for more than 1 year then I would recommend taking it every other day for a week and then stopping it. If less than a year then you can stop it immediately.

Hope my information was helpful.

And I hope I gave you a 5-star service.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD