Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I keep getting dizzy spells, especially when I move my head…

I keep getting dizzy...

I keep getting dizzy spells, especially when I move my head quiclky or lean down to pick up something. I am a woman, hypertensive taking medication on and off. I am overweight and turned 55

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Allergic to cortizone, I take Enalapryl 5mg once daily when I remember to take them.

11/14/2017
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. There are many possible causes of dizziness, but when it occurs with head movement it is often due to labrynthitis, a condition in which a virus gets into the balance mechanism of one of the ears. This often accompanies or follows a recent cold or flu. Similarly, a tiny stone can sometimes form in the balance mechanism and create confusion for the brain when it moves with changes in position. Either way, it is treated conservatively with rest, increased fluids, avoidance of head movements (as much as possible) and medications such as meclizine or scopolamine. These symptoms can last for several weeks, though generally with slow improvement. If you are ill in any other way, or are having fever, for example, you should be evaluated by a doctor to make sure it is not something more serious. If you feel well otherwise, and in between the "spells", you can give it a few more days to see if it starts to improve.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor