Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had polio when I was 11 months old. (1946) I now have

Customer Question
I had polio when...

I had polio when I was 11 months old. (1946) I now have osteoporosis in the affected leg. My doctor is recommending Prolia. What is your recommendation concerning taking Prolia?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No, I really don't have any symptoms, just results from bone density test show osteoporosis

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I did break the affected leg below the knee in July of 2013. It has healed fine. Rod and screws outside the bone, not a rod through the center of the bone were put in.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/14/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your question to help you more efficiently.

What is your sex?

Have you taken any other treatment for osteoporosis or still waiting for specific treatment to be started?

FemaleYes oral medications foximal and two others. They all made me have flu like symptoms.

Thank you very much.

Generally, the drug of choice for treatment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women are bisphosphonates (alendronate/zolindronate etc.) and Prolia; But also, the drug choice should take into account patient preference, side effect profile of drug, benefits/harms, and price of medications.

One of the indications of using Prolia is if the patient cannot use another osteoporosis medicine (like bisphosphonate) or other osteoporosis medicines did not work well.

I believe your doctor prescribed you medicines which either didn't work well or you had side effects from them.

In that case, I can not disagree with your doctors decision to recommend Prolia.

I think you should go ahead as having osteoporosis greatly increases your risks of fractures; which can lead to serious complications.

Goodluck.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.