Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was recently admitted to hospital for a severe asthmatic…

Customer Question
Hi ,I was recently...

Hi ,I was recently admitted to hospital for a severe asthmatic attack. I had already been taking oral prednisolone plus preventers and relievers for a week. I have been off work for nearly 2 weeks am out of hospital but am feeling very depressed and fatigued. Does the prednisolone contribute to this. My asthma is still active tho symptoms have reduced.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

I just saw my Respirologist today who wants me to continue with Prednisolone for another week but I didnt say anything about feeling depressed.However I feel really bad...I need to start work again but I am quite overwhelmed as i think my condition has been far more serious than I realized.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am close to ending a relationship and emotional triggers contribute to exacerbating my asthma.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/14/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually prednisone DOES have a side effect of causing depression and fatigue in many patients. This is a common side effect which usually occurs in patients who have been using the steroids for atleast a week, however the good news here is that this is a transient effect which fades away once the steroids are stopped. Since you are scheduled to stop the steroids after a week, the depression and fatigue should also start to disappear after a week.

Sometimes can be difficult to treat and in these situations steroids are necessary as they will control symptoms in most cases if not all. Secondly you should be on the highest doses of inhaled steroids + long acting beta agonists (LABA) and if necessary long acting muscuranic agents (LAMAs) can also be started. The LAMAs include tiotropium etc. In more severe disease, other drugs such as leukotriene blockers and slow-release oral theophylline are added and also anti-immunoglobulin E treatment with omalizumab for the most severe cases of asthma.

I would suggest that you also have your doctor managed possible silent acid reflux at the same time as many a time it can cause worsening of the asthma EVEN WITHOUT symptoms of acid reflux. Simply using OTC prilosec would be helpful in this situation if you are not already using this drug or another like it.

But to answer your original question, YES prednisone DOES contribute to depression and fatigue and it would fade away after the drug is stopped.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor