Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I would like to know if there is anything I can do

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to know if there is anything I can do (Exercises, antibiotic, cough suppressant) to alleviate the symptoms of bronchiectasis. I have seen my doctor who said there is nothing I can do. It is a progressive disease and eventually will kill me.(Not in these words)

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

The cough has only began about 3 weeks ago. I never had any cough before. When I cough I never bring up anything. I never did. I have had a cold 3 weeks ago and it has left me with a cough and a permanent sore throat. I have taken a course of antibiotics but stopped after I finished the prescription.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I am pretty healty otherwise. I have had some kidney stones but got rid of them.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/14/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

How long ago were you diagnosed bronchiectasis?

What did your lung function tests show?

What are the treatment prescribed?

My age is 73
about a year ago
Lung function was normal
None

In general, you would do well if you are compliant with all treatment regimens and practice routine preventive medicine strategies. So prognosis is good and you will have normal life span.

The treatment usually is;

1) Antibiotics and chest physiotherapy are the mainstays.

Usual antibiotics are (when infection supervenes):

a) Amoxicillin

b) Tetracycline

c) Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole

d) Azithromycin or Clarithromycin

2) Bronchodilators

3) Corticosteroid therapy

4) Diet supplements.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Following measures also are recommended

1) Stop smoking.

2) Avoid second-hand smoke

3) Nutritional supplementation

4) Immunizations for influenza and pneumococcal pneumonia, and measles, rubeola, and pertussis.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl