Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My mom was taking Clonodine for blood pressure and was

Customer Question
My mom was taking...
My mom was taking Clonodine for blood pressure and was starting to get confused, anxious, realistic nightmare, blood pressure rose to 224. She was admitted to the hospital was only treated for the blood pressure. Since 10/17/17 she has been suffering with panic attacks, nightmares, confusion, not be able to speak. She was given ativan by her primary doctor which made her worse. I have her in the hospital now and they don't know what to do for her because they have never dealt with this. They are giving her Seroquel which makes her sleep constantly and lethargic, dry mouth, shortness of breath. I want to take her to another doctor but am not sure what type of doctor. Can you help.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: She started the medicine on 10/12 and she was telling me she was very tired and was forgetting things and on 10/17 she had a very realistic nightmare and she hasn't been the same. Sometimes she can hold a conversation but most of the time she can't. Now with the Seroquel she's like a zombie. My mom was a vibrant 85 year old living on her own and taking care of herself. We never had to do anything for her she did for us.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She's diabetic, she's had heart surgery (bypass) and her blood pressure was very high which started in August.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
11/14/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im very sorry to hear about your mother. Can i ask did they do a MRI of the brain? Did they do a spinal tap? Did she have any fever when she started to experience these symptoms? Did they do a blood workup and if so do you have the reports?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Actually the first thing i would like to consider here is that she could have developed an acute confusional state which can be due to a number of causes in the elderly. The commonest cause of this can be a urinary tract infection EVEN without the common symptoms associated with it like burning etc. This would be diagnosed with a simple urine analysis and urine culture. The treatment is with antibiotics which also corrects the confusion etc. Another cause can be atypical pneumonia which in the elderly can present with only mild coughing or mild shortness of breath without any fever. infact in patients above 65 years, fever is often absent in case of infections. A chest xray would be helpful here and then again treatment would be with antibiotics. Similarly other infections would need to be ruled out with blood cultures etc.

Another cause can be metabolic encephalopathy which can be due to problems with the kidney and liver or even an electrolyte imbalance. This would be checked with the help of a complete metabolic profile.

Now once these causes are ruled out then the brain should be considered here, this can be due to problems like encephalitis which can be a slow smoldering disease in which the brain is inflamed and in the early stages changes in personality, confusion, memory loss, difficulty in speaking etc are common. This would be diagnosed with a MRI of the brain, EEG, spinal tap. Once diagnosed depending on the virus, it can be treated with anti viral medications. The MRI of the brain will also help to rule out problems like small areas of strokes in the brain which can cause behavioural changes.

I would recommend that you discuss these possibilities with your doctor and see if any of these can be the cause here.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is not what I asked. I asked what type of doctor should I bring her to. All tests were negative & Nothing showed in the MRI of the braun.

Ill opt out and let another expert respond, but a neurologist and psychiatrist both should be consulted

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I did that & neither of said they can help h et
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love. I am sorry that your mother is having so many difficulties.

If your mother has been seen by both a Neurologist and a Psychiatrist at your local hospital and neither were able to make a diagnosis or treatment plan, then the usual next step would be a consultation at a regional referral hospital, which is usually associated with a medical school.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor