Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My blood pressure is 167 over 105, I'm wondering if I need…

My blood pressure is...

My blood pressure is 167 over 105, I'm wondering if I need to go to the hospital. I have no symptoms.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

I'm on medication but i happen to check it today.

11/13/2017
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. Just a few questions please: What medication are you taking, is it a blood pressure medicine? Have you ever had high blood pressure before? Are you in any pain, having headache, double vision or nausea/vomiting?

i have and I'm on amlodipine. No symptoms

Thank you for that information. 167/105 is certainly elevated, but in and of itself not necessarily a reason to proceed to the emergency room/hospital. As long as you are not experiencing any of the more concerning symptoms I mentioned, I recommend you continue taking your medication as prescribed and contact your physician in the morning to schedule an appointment. He/She can re-check your blood pressure in the office and consider increasing your current dose and/or adding any other high blood pressure medicines to return your BP back to normal again. Can I help with anything else?

Thanks and no thank you. I'll follow up with my doctor.

You are very welcome! If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer and conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD