Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My brother is on the breathing machine and they been weaned…

Customer Question
My brother is on...

My brother is on the breathing machine and they been weaned of he was just o2 for 16 hours is that good he wasn't on breathing machine

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

My brother had surgery on September 20

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
is that good for him to breath on his own for 8 hours
the breathing machine is off during this time
11/13/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. If your brother had been on a ventilator, or breathing machine, since his surgery on September 20, but is now breathing on his own without any assistance and only receiving extra oxygen, then yes, that is a good sign. It sounds like the doctors in the hospital are trying to determine if they can remove the connection he has with the ventilator, called the endotracheal tube. Can I answer any other questions for you?