Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am have some severe pain in my right side sort of below my…

Customer Question
I am have some severe...
I am have some severe pain in my right side sort of below my right breast all the way into my back. Feels like fire inside. I have no gallbladder, had a hysterectomy 12 years ago and gallbladder longer than that. The stabbing pains are getting more frequent and pretty stout, what can it be?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
11/13/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms to help you more efficiently.

Do you have chest tightness, shortness of breath or palpitations with this?

Any skin breakouts over the affected area?

Have you taken any pain medication?

not really tightness or shortness of breath, I took motrin yesterday and used a heating pad but was really painful and hard to straighten up, the shooting pains only started this morning from my side into my belly button

Thank you very much for the feedback.

There could be many reasons for the pain you are having including;

1. A pinched nerve in the spine (due to abnormal excessive pressure over the nerves as they exit the spine). This can give you a sharp and radiating pain.

2. A muscle spasm; due to physical stress or abnormal posture (during sleep etc)

3. Though the symptoms are not classical, any chest pain (direct or radiating) should be evaluated ASAP in ER to rule out cardiac problem. An EKG is usually helpful as screening to help your doctor decide whether this is cardiac or non-cardiac in origin.

4. Finally, and more importantly pain in dermatomal distribution can be due to shingles (a viral infection); usually associated with skin lesions but at times there may be minimal or no skin breakouts.

To conclude, the best way to proceed further is to have an evaluation ASAP; once cardiac issue is ruled out, will reassure you and will direct further management plan; such as pain medications, and/or muscle relaxants, or MRI of spine for pinched nerve or blood tests for Shingles.

You can continue to take Motrin along with Tylenol for pain relief, but in case of shingles, strong medications (prescription) like gabapentin are usually required.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.