Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My knee started to hurt me after I ran half-marathon (~2…

My knee started to hurt...
My knee started to hurt me after I ran half-marathon (~2 weeks ago).
Especially when I sit for a while and not moving (like going 10 hours somewhere by bus) or the pain also starts when I walk for a long time.
11/13/2017

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Your symptoms are suggestive of ligament sprain, muscle strain and tendonitis. Apart from the analgesic following would help you, meanwhile;

1) Physical therapy; this is the mainstay of the management. Stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, mild weight bearing exercises, swimming on the week-ends etc would be helpful.

2) Deep electrotherapy; this entails going to physical therapy center and take care of specific issues which are more painful.

3) Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

4) Diacerin too can be tried.

5) Local analgesic sprays

6) Mild massage

7) Consideration of hyaluronic acid injection in the joint. Some physician may inject steroid too for the pain relief.

8) Warm shower in morning would open up the joint.

9) Acupuncture; most popular forms of alternative or complementary medicine, particularly for pain relief.

10) Analgesic patches too are available for the pain relief.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;

http://bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

High impact exercises should be avoided; like kneeling and bending.

To summarize: Following measures would be helpful in the knee pain;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Knee brace.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Thank you!

You are very welcome.