Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I think I have a viral eye infection it’s been going on for

a week. The pain is...
I think I have a viral eye infection it’s been going on for a week. The pain is worse when lay down . Is that normal ?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Right eye one week, took antibiotics drops now I have it in the left
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I used erythromycin drops the first 2 days, the pain became worse especially the lower eye lid. The doctor changed to mocifloxin and toradol. I used them until yesterday when I developed redness and irritation in my left eye. I now believe it is viral. My right eye is still irritated and hurts more when I lay down.
11/13/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any discharge from the eye? Any blurring of vision? Also do you have a picture which you can attach here?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I only have discharge when I lay down. Blurred vision occasionally, but it is improving. The right eye I believe I was allergic to the erythromycin

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I’m just concerned bc it’s been a week and it’s still painful especially when laying down.

Now from what you are describing, pain in the eye on lying down with an infection like this can be considered as being normal. This would usually subside once the infection itself settles down. From the picture it does seem like that you do have a viral infection and if that is the case then using antibiotics would usually not be helpful however using steroid eye drops or even anti histamine eye drops would be more useful in this situation.

Pain on lying down CAN be a part of this problem however at the same time it would be wise to get your sinuses evaluated as well, as pain in the eye or behind the eye on lying down can also indicate a problem with the sinuses which may be inflamed.

The other causes of pain in the eye of lying down are less likely like orbital cellulitis which would have caused SEVERE swelling of the eyes themselves which is not evident in the picture.

So in short i think the pain is part of your current viral/bacterial infection and it should settle down within the next week or so.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
That makes sense I am using nasal steroid for my sinuses now. Would oral antihistamines be sufficient or do they need to be topical. I take Benadryl at night and an h2 blocker generic for Zantac during the day.

Oral antihistamines are usually good enough, i would recommend that you add OTC zyrtec or claritin in the morning along with OTC benadryl at night. Also if that does not help then you should have the topical ones added as those are usually more effective in situations like these especially when oral ones are not improving the situation.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you so am I contagious as long as I still have symptoms?

Yes as long as you have symptoms then you can be contagious so it is worthwhile to avoid direct contact with other people or wash your hands before interacting with other people.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
That is it. Thank you so much !

You're welcome, do remember to leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Will do thanks

Best of luck! Thanks for the rating!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor