Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I suffer from painful shoulders. Is it rhemitoride

Customer Question
I suffer from painful...

I suffer from painful shoulders. Is it rhemitoride arthritus? I currently take cortizonne shots every three months..any better treatment?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

For years..using my arms , lifting them up high. One doctor told me i needed rotocuff surgery.cuff..I am 88 yearsd old..fon't want to do that

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, not that I know of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/13/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I doubt that the shoulder pain is due to Rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid arthritis usually and most commonly affects the small joints of the hand.

In rare instances, Rheumatoid arthritis can affect other joints but not just shoulder joints but all the joints including the small joints of the hand and feet.

You mentioned having rotator cuff injury, that is a common cause of shoulder pain and often cortisone shots are required for alleviation of pain.

If you want to look at other options of treatment, which are not surgical and not cortisone shots then I would suggest that you see a Rheumatologist and first get the cause of the pain diagnosed. An MRI of the shoulders is warranted here for a complete evaluation.

Having said that, the most popular and effective non surgical treatment for rotator cuff and osteoarthritis of the shoulder joints are cortisone shots.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.