Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have woken up with excessive bleeding from my mouth on 10…

Customer Question
I have woken up with...
I have woken up with excessive bleeding from my mouth on 10 seperate occasions now and last Friday I woke up chocking in blood what can cause this?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/12/2017
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Do you have any symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, change in voice etc? Do you have any diagnosed medical problem or any medications you are on? Regards

No medication, no obstruction but I do have a lump in my lower gum
I have photos

Can you send a photo of your gum lump?

Here is the amount of blood
Did you get the photos?

Yes I have got it. Is it possible to see the lump in your gums?

Yes I have seen the pictures.

This is the lump you may have to enlarge it

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Yes I have seen it. I am a oral surgeon so I am very much familiar with this. This is a hemangioma. A blood vessel swelling simply. You should see your GP who will refer you to an ENT surgeon or dentist and anyone of them can simply take it out. Sometime they try an injection in it to shrink it but mostly I prefer to take it out. This is not serious or life threatening but since you are loosing blood through it, it is better to go earlier. You can go to A& E as well but I reassure you that there is nothing serious and you are going to be alright, once it is taken out. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

This is what I said when I had to go into hospital on Friday but they said I need to see a cancer specialist. The black lump you can see swells up drops off then does the same thing again. Doctors won’t touch it as they say it’s dental. Dental say cancer I’m so confused

No it's not cancer. It's hemangioma. I have removed many. Are they planning to remove it?

What dentist said?

The dentist said he had never seen anything like it. He saw a video of the bleeding which really is excessive. There is nothing to remove as the black bubble just drops off

Please see an ENT surgeon in your area and I am sure he can remove it. This is treatable. I am myself a surgeon and I have treated them often.

I’m just struggling to understand that a doctor or dentist wouldn’t have picked this up if it is that common. The dentist said he had never even seen it in a text book!

I am amazed that how's this possible. Please see an ENT.

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor