Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have sharp pain radiating from the center of my back near…

Customer Question
I have sharp pain...

I have sharp pain radiating from the center of my back near shoulder blade to under my arm pit and just under my breast . on my left side.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Being still makes it a little better, but I get sharp sudden stab like pain.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Layin on my back bring the pain to under my breast. laying on my stomach brings it to my shoulder blade.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/12/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms to help you more efficiently.

Since how long do you have this?

Your age? Sex?

Concurrent medical illness?

Do you feel short of breath?

Any skin breakouts on the affected/painful area?

Felt the pain for less than 24 hours
Female. 55
No shortness of breath
There is a small red spot under my arm pit near my breast

Thank you very much for the feedback.

There could be many reasons for the pain you are having including;

1. A pinched nerve in the spine (due to abnormal excessive pressure over the nerves as they exit the spine). This can give you a sharp and radiating pain.

2. A muscle spasm; due to physical stress or abnormal posture (during sleep etc)

3. Though the symptoms are not classical, any chest pain (direct or radiating) should be evaluated ASAP in ER to rule out cardiac problem. An EKG is usually helpful as screening to help your doctor decide whether this is cardiac or non-cardiac in origin.

4. Finally, pain in dermatomal distribution can be due to shingles (a viral infection); usually associated with skin lesions but at times there may be minimal or no skin breakouts.

To conclude, the best way to proceed further is to have an evaluation in ER ASAP; once cardiac issue is ruled out, will reassure you and will direct further management plan; such as muscle relaxants, or MRI of spine for pinched nerve or blood tests for Shingles.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

for it to be cardiac related must I also be experiencing shortness of breath?

True. Classically cardiac pain should be central chest pain, radiating to jaw or left arm, associated with shortness of breath.

However, atypical cardiac pains can also occur in 10 to 15 % of population which can be just a dull chest pain, or left arm pain, can be with out shortness of breath.

At times, there might be no symptoms at all.

Though seems less likely in your case, but since this is the most serious possibility, that's why my answer was in accordance with standard guidelines of evaluation.

Good luck

Kindest Regards.