Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I take Geodon and Tegretol. Last spring I had some mental…

Customer Question
Hi. I take...

Hi. I take Geodon and Tegretol. Last spring I had some mental health problems. Found out I'm suppose to eat 500 calories for the Geodon to work. I'm a light eater so had to stuff myself to get the calories. End of July I starting getting extreme starving hunger pangs even after eating a full meal. I've been tested negative for diabetes and thyroid. For over 3 months now the starving hunger pangs won't go away. They last all day now no matter what I eat. It's like my body is in starvation mode and can't get enough to eat or my brain isn't registering that I'm full. Even cooking odors bring on the hunger pains. I've gained 25 pounds from eating so much and have diarrhea. Any idea what could be causing these severe hunger pains.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I've had the pain since the end of July. Eating oatmeal in the morning takes the pain away for half an hour. Sometimes that doesn't work. I sit very still or lay down to stay calm even though I'm in pain. Walking around and stress makes it worse. And waiting too long to eat.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Went to emergency room checked out ok with heart lungs kidneys and cat scan no cysts o n brain. Went to infectious disease specialist he thought it might be side effect of geodon . Pschiatrist lowered dose and there's no difference. Been taking Geodon for 12 years and never had any problem with it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/12/2017
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. I'm sorry you are experiencing weight gain and hunger pangs. Geodon has known side effects of nausea, diarrhea and weight gain. Tegretol also has a side effect of severe diarrhea. So the combination of the two medications may be contributing to your concerns. Please discuss the effects the medication is having with your prescribing doctor to see if you need to have the dose changed or other medication prescribed. Also, the hunger pangs are not a part of either medication, but may be due to anxiety and also should be discussed with your doctor.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Any additional thoughts, questions?

How are you feeling?

I'm doing the same.

Have you discussed the possibility of changing your medication with your doctor?