Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I might need a specialist but I don't know what kind. been…

Customer Question
I might need a...

I might need a specialist but I don't know what kind.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Been treated for reflux since 2002 with prevacid.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I get a hard chronic cough often which lasts for about 6 weeks. Very hard to contain and it affects daily living greatly. Anyways, the past 4 weeks I've had this chronic cough again. It has my insides torn up. My doctor don't know if it's viral or bacterial so I've been kinda treated for both but nothing has really helped. For the first time last night I was awakened with chest pains- toward my left- so I have no idea if that is heart or not. I am currently taking:

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Mylan- pantoprazole for acid reflux biaxin 500mg- for bacterial infection

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/12/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I would suggest that you request to see a Gastroenterologist. Your problems seem largely related to your reflux which can also cause recurrent chest infections and pharyngitis.

A gastroenterologist has a medical background so will cover most aspects of your health concerns. Tests required to diagnose and treat reflux and upper GI related diseases are also done by gastroenterolists, these include an upper GI work up including upper GI endoscopy and chest x rays etc.

Reflux disease, gastritis, esophagitis and most upper GI conditions mimic heart conditions because they share the same nerve supply.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.