Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Ok Friday I went into Hosp for surgery But after 25 min

Hello ***** went into Hosp...
Hello ***** went into Hosp for surgery
But after 25 min they’ stopped as I have as a anaphylactic reaction and nearly died I had 2 doses of adrenaline- and woke up 6 hrs later
I was put in icu
It’s been 48 hours and I am itchy
Have taken all my meds
I have patches of red that come up and then go awayHow long will this lastPics of what I looked like after
11/12/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the recurrent redness and itching can persist for a few days after you have suffered an anaphylactic reaction. It can last for as long as a week however it usually starts to settled down after 3-5 days and disappears within a week.

In the meantime if the itching is severe then OTC topical calamine lotion can be used and you may be started on oral steroids such as prednisone in order to prevent further such attacks in the future. A short course of steroids would be indicated if the problem is persistent and you are not responding to anti histamines like zyrtec, claritin or benadryl.

But usually this will settle down in 3-5 days in most cases and 7 days in others.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am on steroids atm
this is the first time I have had this
I am so scared to put anything in my skin atm

Usually calamine lotion does not cause any severe reactions, however if you are not sure of the products which you are allergic to and you have not been given a list as to which products to avoid then you can skip the calamine lotion and stick with antihistamines like zyrtec, claritin or benadryl. The itching and redness would stop in a few days as i indicated earlier.

Another way would be to ask your doctors as to WHAT set off your anaphylactic reaction, which drug specifically, if we know that then we would not which drugs to avoid and which not to avoid.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to have an allergy test to see what it was
Could be the pennelcillian or a muscle relaxant

The likely culprit can be penicillin as many patients are allergic to it, muscle relaxants are a possibility but a very small group of the population is allergic to it. I would say that penicillin is the likely culprit here.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I have had it befor and surgeries before with no issues
Why now

If this was not the first time you received penicillin, then it will not be the likely cause. Yes it is the likely cause of allergic reactions in most patients WHO HAVE NOT received the drug before but if you have taken it before without any problems then it is more likely that the cause is muscle relaxants.

THE OTHER possibility is that some patients can develop an allergy to a drug to which they were NOT allergic to previously, the exact mechanism via this happens is unknown, but it is possible for this to occur. if the allergy test shows that you are not allergic to the muscle relaxant and are allergic to penicillin, then you have developed a new allergy to it. It has been postulated that some environmental factors, autoimmune factors may play a role however again, it is something which is not completely understood.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the infoI am scared
I nee surgery but I can’t have it atm

Once you get the allergy test done, it will clarify which drugs or products need to be avoided, once your doctors know what to avoid you can certainly go through surgery. Patients who have had anaphylactic reactions can still get surgery done, they just need to be operated upon under special care with the drugs that they are allergic to, avoided.

Dont worry you can still get the surgery done.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will I always have this now ?
Do I need to add anaphylactic to my list
Or wear a bracelet

You need to have the drugs which you are allergic to added to your medical record, a bracelet would be needed if you are allergic to multiple drugs or to commonly used drugs. Not all patients who have had a anaphylacvtic reaction need a medical bracelet. It depends on the number of the drugs you are allergic to and the drugs which you actually allergic to.

Yes if you are allergic to a drug then you will remain allergic to it and it needs to be avoided.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor