Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have tried everything to get rid of my fungal nails to no…

Customer Question
I have tried everything...

I have tried everything to get rid of my fungal nails to no avail. The pills my doctor gave me, had an adverse reaction (severe headache) so my doctor had me discontinue it. The other topical medicines such as nail polish for fungal nails seem to take forever. What can I do?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Both

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
11/12/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

With fungal infections of the nails that are refractory to anti fungal medication, the best remedy is surgical debulking. In this process, the fungal colonization is minimized by reducing the fungal load.

In finger nails, this can be done as an office procedure and your dermatologist or plastic surgeon can remove the nail plate under local anesthesia, scrape the nail bed and nail folds and wash it with antiseptic solutions. There after a few weeks of subtle antifungal medication either orally or topically is prescribed and this takes care of the infection.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

MY finger nails are fine. My problems are my two big toe nails. Can I have this procedure done in the doctor's office? My foot doctor had mentioned that procedure if it's the same one, and said there are no guarantees that the fungal nails may not return.

Yes, the same procedure in the toe nails. It is done in the office.

There are never any guarantees but it gives the best chance to treat this.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.