Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have taken 4 days of ceftriaxone 1gr. Injection for 4

Customer Question
I have taken 4...

I have taken 4 days of ceftriaxone 1gr. Injection for 4 days. After 4th injection, I developed an almost constant cough to the point I can barely sleep. My initial problem was a sinus infection.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

It has been about 24 hours. I also have some feeling of anxiety.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have taken this medicine before with no problem but it was only a 3 day course.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/12/2017
Doctor: Medicaldoctor, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Could you please tell if this cough is dry or does it contain any mucus?

Do you have any fever?any other symptoms?

This cough is not due to ceftriaxone.

Cough is not a side effect of this medication.

Sinus infection can at times spread to airways and make you cough.

For this cough you need to take over the counter cough suppressant called dextromethorphan, which acts on the brain to suppress coughing.

You should also take steam at least 2 times a day.

If you have fever then you might also need another antibiotic.

Do let me know if you have any unanswered questions.

Please do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left or bottom corner of this thread so that I can be credited for helping you today.

You are not charged for rating positively and I will be here for any follow up questions.

Thank you.

Best wishes.

Actually, the cough is dry and is just from my throat. No phlegm at all. Just a constant tickle. I have tried the cough syrup with dextromethorphan and it doesn't do hardly anything. Also, it says under webmd that cough can be a side effect from ceftriaxone. I didn't have this type of cough until after the 4th injection.

Okay if the cough is dry and you do not have any fever then this could be due to a side effect of ceftriaxone.

How is your cough now?Is it improving or getting worse?

This cough normally resolves on its own within a couple of days but you can use some natural remedies like

Black pepper and honey tea...

How is your cough now?

Medicaldoctor
Medicaldoctor
Medicaldoctor, Doctor