Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What causes trigger finger? Does it require surgery? I

Customer Question
What causes trigger finger...

What causes trigger finger? Does it require surgery?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No, I haven't . I've done nothing yet. I have 2 on the same finger

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

A few years ago I had surgery foe carpal tunnel on the other hand. By the way I am 93 years old, if that means anything

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

My health is excellent for my age, and have no arthritus

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
11/11/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Will try to explain as well as i can. Well tendons are tough cords that join bone to muscle. They move the bone when the muscle contracts. In the hand, tendons run along the front and back of the bones in the fingers and are attached to the muscles in the forearm.

The tendons on the palm side of the hand (flexor tendons) are held in place by strong bands of tissue, known as ligaments, which are shaped in arches over the tendon. The tendons are covered by a protective sheath which produces a small amount of fluid to keep the tendons lubricated. This allows them to move freely and smoothly within the sheath when the fingers are bent and straightened.

Trigger finger occurs if there's a problem with the tendon or sheath, such as inflammation and swelling. The tendon can no longer slide easily through the sheath and can bunch up to form a small lump (nodule). This makes bending the affected finger or thumb difficult. If the tendon gets caught in the sheath, the finger can click painfully as it's straightened.

The exact reason why these problems occur isn't known, but several factors may increase the likelihood of trigger finger developing. For example, it's more common in women, people over 40 years of age, and those with certain medical conditions.

Treatment options

In some people, trigger finger may get better without treatment.

However, if it isn't treated, there's a chance the affected finger or thumb could become permanently bent, which will make performing everyday tasks difficult.

If treatment is necessary, several options are available, including:

• Rest and medication – avoiding certain activities and taking NSAIDs may help relieve pain.
  • Splinting, where the affected finger is strapped to a plastic splint to reduce movement.
  • Corticosteroids injections (steroids are medicines that can reduce swelling).
  • If nothing helps then surgery may be required.

Hope it was useful.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.

Treatment options

Hope it was useful.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.