Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently got the results of STD. The reading for HSV 2 is…

Customer Question
Hi. I recently got...

Hi. I recently got the results of STD. The reading for HSV 2 is 30...HSV 1 is 0.5. Does that mean that I've Herpes?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No symptoms

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/11/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your QUESTION to help you more efficiently.

What is the reference range given in your results?

Reference range?
60;0.9 - non reactive
0.9 to 1.1 equivocal
1.1 positive. Can the HSV 2 IGg index be as high as 30? What other tests should I go for to confirm if really have herpes?

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Well there are different kind of tests that can help diagnose herpes. Most of these tests can help pick up an acute infection like a culture or PCR from herpetic lesions.

Since you do not have any lesions/symptoms, therefore the test you had is helpful only to determine whether or not you have been exposed to herpes virus or not.

This positive antibody test does not mean that you are having an active disease (which manifests in the form of symptoms like painful blisters), as it can not differentiate between recent and past infection.

However it gives one clear answer that you had an exposure to this virus.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Thank you