Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a car accident and the x ray result specifically

Customer Question
I had a car...

I had a car accident and the x ray result specifically states incidental spinal dysraphism involving the posteroir elements of T12 as if its not related to the car accident. This can be a direct result of the accident

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No just pain in lower back .neck and right shoulder

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No just rear ended by van a couple of days ago --bending and moving

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No just that which is what I told the ER Dr

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
11/11/2017
Doctor: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Do you have a picture of the report?

What is your specific question?

the specific question is my problem with the terminology used " incidental " as if it has no relation to the trauma (rear ended by van) from being hit by a van in car accident.The report specifically states incidental spinal dysraphism involving the posterior elements of T12. There is a possibility the this finding is a result from my car accident a couple of days ago. How would you view this word "incidental" if you were reading it
in dont want a phone call can you please just answer the question

Did you have a CT scan or MRI as well?

It is read as incidental because there was no obvious swelling in the area which you would expect with trauma.

no ER Dr said only a primary physician can
but it can be a result of the accident

So basically the radiologist read it as "incidental" as they see something on the xray that need further evaluation. The radiologist did not think it was related to the car accident because there was no obvious swelling in the area that would indicate the anomaly was from the car accident. However, he reports it as a finding because it deserves further workup and evaluation. If you have a CT scan or MRI which can show swelling and acute injury much better then you might be able to say this is from the car accident. However, at this time you can not say that because they simply do not have enough information. A CT scan or MRI will give you the information to determine if it is from the car accident. Does that make sense?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Did you receive my last answer?