Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was tested for herpes and my results came back. Stressed…

Customer Question
I was tested for...

I was tested for herpes and my results came back

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Stressed but not other symptoms

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Hsp 1 was 46.60 and hsp 2 was 2.92

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/10/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Were these type-specific IgG antibody immunoassay tests for HSV1 and HSV2?

Specific

If this was an immunoassay test, then it is possible that the HSV2 result of 2.92 is a false positive. When the index is above 3.5, the likelihood of a false positive is quite low, but with an index between 2.5 and 3.0, there is a 30-40% chance that this is a false positive.

If someone has typical symptoms, then a positive index in this range would be considered diagnostic. But for someone that has never had any typical symptoms, it is appropriate to consider whether this is a false positive. There are several confirmatory tests that can be done to look for HSV2 specific antibodies, but I prefer to check a Western Blot test. If the Western Blot test is negative, then that shows that this was a false positive.

The HSV1 index of 46.60 is clearly positive, and no further evaluation needs to be done.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.