Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it safe or dangerous for an elderly person to sleep late…

Customer Question
Is it safe or dangerous...
Is it safe or dangerous for an elderly person to sleep late if they went to bed late? I assume it is better to sleep in to make sure the body has had enough rest if the elderly person is in a sleep pattern that is taking some time to adjust. I understand the circadian rhythm being disrupted can cause many issues. But until the schedule can get back to normal, what other dangers are there besides DVT and dehydration or how to re-mediate this to prevent issues from this pattern?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 4 days by:
11/14/2017
Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern about “an elderly person”. I’m Dr Ted Manos M.D., obgyn with personal interest with quality of life of elderly patients. I can respond to you, but what do you mean by elderly and why the question about sleep patterns in this group.
What group? Doctors?
Elderly 80+
Ok. Let’s say individuals 80+, but all elderly 80+ persons ware not the same when overall health. Someone not on many medications should sleep around seven hours. If they’re sleeping less they may consider naps later in the day. One key condsideration is how the person feels and their energy during the day. They usually do better getting to sleep before midnight. However, kidney problems, prostate issues, sleep apnea are variables. This information is valuable, but other factors include whether the elderly are living alone or have symptoms of depression. Most importantly, the elderly need to find healthcare providers that know how to assess and manage the elderly. Thanks again for using Justanswer.