Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Should this be taken if a child is also taking celexa? I…

Customer Question
Should this be taken...

Should this be taken if a child is also taking celexa? I believe the child is having an intermittent scary side effect from select and that the child is too young to be on select

Doctor's Assistant: Is there an upcoming drug test scheduled? What kind of samples are being tested?

Not sure what test is needed but something is needed. The child has self harming thoughts from time to time and speaks of suicide on occasion. I read that some short term studies say this is a side effect and the frug should not be given to young children. The child was 8 in January

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
11/10/2017
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

What is the other drug you are referring to. You didn't mention the name of the medication.

Pediatric patients can take Celexa and in this age group there is no additional risk of suicide. The medical studies that indicate a higher rate of suicide are for teens 18 and older. This drug should only be prescribed by a certified Pediatric Psychiatrist and your child should be periodically evaluated by this type of specialist.

I hope I have relieved your concerns.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.