Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was having a lot of a fib and my gastro guy did an

Customer Question
I was having a...

I was having a lot of a fib and my gastro guy did an endoscopy Monday, while I was on Eliquis. He said he took two very small biopsies, both negative. Wednesday I realized I had tarry black stool. I went he took me off the Eliquis immediately so my last dose was yesterday morning. My concern: two processes / me losing blood and my atomach’s ability to stop the bleeding. I’m hoping the clotting happens before I need a transfusion. Blood work at 2;00 yesterday looked good and

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Hemoglobin was 12. Should I rest at hone or do I need more?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’m 65 and otherwise in good shape

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/10/2017
Doctor: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
If you have missed a couple doses of Eliquis then you should stop bleeding in about 12 hours. You should have your blood count rechecked, but you should not need a transfusion. I understand your concerns. When are you restarting Eliquis?
As soon as my gastroenterologist tells me I should. My stomach has to heal.
I’ll stick with this, thank you. Missed a lot of work this week and need to be frugal. Do you think you can answer this through texting? That was the idea, I thought.
This is one of the hardest questions on medicine. You should call your doctor in the morning to see when you should restart
Okay, honest response. Thank you.
I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!
Well, I’ll give you points for referring me back to my MD but I had the option of calling him before I contacted you. This issue has caused me some anxiety because of the high stakes ambiguity (which is why, as you say, it’s a hard question.) I basically wanted to know if going to bed tonight was safe. If it helps, I’m mildly light headed most of the time, but can still go up my stairs and nothing feels TERRIBLY wrong. If you can tell me with confidence that I’ll wake up tomorrow and be able to figure out my next step from there, that would be a five star response.

Sorry, but I can not tell you with confidence over the internet and without doing a physical exam and knowing all your other medical history and medications, etc.

I can tell you that if you have stopped your eliquis, then you are not bleeding anymore and your blood counts should have stabilized by now.

If you are not happy with that response, I can opt out for another doctor.

Okay

I will opt out.

Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.The half life on Apixaban /Eliquis is 12 hours.Its action will persist for at least 24 hours after the last dose.Since you are not having any active bleeding,you should in all probability be alright for the night if you have stopped the Eliquis after the biopsy were done.A little oozing will not harm you but a outpouring of fresh blood needs emergency room treatment.In all probability,nothing should go wrong.The Eliquis should have been stopped at least 2 days prior to the surgery/biopsy.It would be prudent not to sleep alone tonight.