Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been throwing up since 2 days,I suspect this is

Customer Question
because of food I ate...
I have been throwing up since 2 days,I suspect this is because of food I ate. My wbc count is high as well. Which anti biotics I should take. I know it not OTC. But for second opinion I am asking. Also can I get any Anti Nausea medicine OTC,When do I expect it to recover fully.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
11/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually if you have been vomiting for two days, the likely cause is that you could have developed a viral infection. This is a much more common cause of vomiting and may sometimes cause elevation of the lymphocyte count in the CBC. Usually viral infections settle down on their own and require only hydration therapy and supportive care.

However if your WBC count is greater than 12,000 and you have fever or diarrhea or abdominal pain then a bacterial infection can be considered. In case of gastrointestinal bacterial infections, we usually use ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for elimination of bacteria and this can be combined with metronidazole 400 mg thrice daily if an amebic infection is considered.

Now apart from a gastrointestinal infection, the vomiting can also be due to inflammation of the lining of the stomach which is known as gastritis. This can cause pain, vomiting and nausea. The treatment for this is basically with OTC prilosec 10 mg twice a day.

Now in your case i would recommend the following medications,

OTC Dramamine

OTC Benadryl

OTC Prilosec

Usually in case of viral infections, the problems starts to settle down by the 5th day and in the meantime you should start using an increased amount of plain water and electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!