Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

On Medrol 6 days pack for 4 days to treat my escessive

Customer Question
coughing due to possible bronchitis...
On Medrol 6 days pack for 4 days to treat my escessive coughing due to possible bronchitis. Have only 2 more days to go. Anything I need to be worried about tapering off the pack? Side effects of being off the pack?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your bronchitis. Usually when we prescribe steroids for a short duration like under 14 days, there is no need to taper off them at all, the reason being that in this time frame, your own natural production of steroids is not suppressed and thus you would not experience the serious withdrawal effects from stopping steroids suddenly. Now in some patients using the steroids for a shorter period of time MAY result in some side effects HOWEVER they are NOT life threatening and usually fade away within 3-7 days at the most. You may experience insomnia, mild bodyaches for the first couple of days etc but nothing major which would cause you to visit the hospital.

That is why most physicians would advise a tapering dose even if the steroids are being used for a short duration, just to minimize the minor side effects which can occur being off the steroids. So in short the withdrawal symptoms MAY occur (in about 5-10% of the people who use the drugs) if they are stopped suddenly however the effects are unlikely to occur if you are tapered off the dose in this situation as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

the side effects you mentioned mostly happen when you are on the pills or once being off the pills?
And after the last pill on the day 6, if there were to be side effect, it will go away within a week?
I am tapering off as they prescribed me the dose pack that looks like this..
I was just wondering that the first day being on it which was Friday, i don’t feel any side effects, is it possible to start feel it now? Or may be later on even I didn’t take the pills anymore?
It is less likely to experience side effects after tapering off if you didn't have any while you were on the steroids. So while it is possible that you may experience side effects it is less likely and even if they do appear then they would usually disappear within a week of the drug being stopped.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today
I see. So mostly side effects should happen mostly on the first day being on the pills which has the highest dose?
And I am still coughing though, less than before. So the Methylprednisolone helps with the inflamed bronchitis but the cough kinda have to run through its course of the cold that causes he bronchitis?
The cough will settle down over time and it won't completely disappear even after using the pack. It usually takes an additional week for the cough to disappear.
And usually you would experience side effects with steroids within the first 2 to 3 days and if you don't then it is not likely that you will experience them later on even after stopping the drug altogether.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.
I see. Thank you!
So I am on day 4 , took 3 today. Still no obvious side effects, so i should kind of be safe and sound from those possible side effects, right?
all signs point towards the fact that you should not develop any side effects.
Do you have anymore questions?
I think mine is due to allergy too. Have been having allergies since April on and off. So now using flonase and zyrtec at night beside the medrol
bronchitis will resolve on its own

You can also start with zyrtec in the morning and benadryl at night which may help you further.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!