Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

In the past week I have had tonsilitis with fatigue no

fever. started a week ago...
In the past week I have had tonsilitis with fatigue no fever. started a week ago after having unprotected sex fellatio with a new partner. Assumed it was strep so went to dr and strep test came back negative. Doctor said it was probably still strep or other bacteria and put me on amoxicillin. It got better in 5 days. A week later I had oral sex again with my new partner unprotected and I can already see white plaques redeveloping and mildly sore throats already in just 24 hrs?! He says he is clean from stds but I'm very worried. Did I just not clear the original infection? Is the oral sex a trigger for the tonsilitis? First doctor did a culture but I haven't heard back yet.
10/31/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it does sound like that you are getting these infections from your partner. Now it is less likely to be due to the initial infection not clearing up completely as usually 5 days of antibiotics are more than enough for most bacterial throat infections. Secondly if it did not clear up from the initial course of antibiotics then the symptoms would have returned within 2-3 days rather than a week later.

One thing wich can cause these recurrent infections in your case could be a yeast infection, yeast infections can cause no symptoms in males and it is possible that you are getting recurrent fungal infections. The throat swab culture should diagnose this problem and if this is the case then oral nystatin or even oral fluconazole would be helpful in clearing up this infection.

The other possibility is that you have a bacterial infection which is resistant to amoxicillin and that is why it is not improving. This would again be diagnosed with a simple throat swab culture and usually a drug like azithromycin would be helpful in clearing the problem.

I think you should contact your doctor and ask him about the culture results and if they are negative i would repeat the culture and get started on an antifungal as fungal infection can be missed in the some throat cultures.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Ok. So more likely to be fungal at this point then std like gonorrhea (just paranoid)?

Yes more likely to be fungal rather than gonorrhea, since it improved once and gonorrohea usually doesnt improve without treatment.