Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have been taking generic adderall for almost 15 years. Im…

I have been taking...

I have been taking generic adderall for almost 15 years. Im not someone who abuses it. I was diagnosed with severe adhd when I was 14. Im 32 now. I was cleaning my car out last weekend and vacuumed up (at a public car wash) all but 3 pills of me rx bottle. No not the bottle. The bottle was in my purse and when I grabbed my purse to move it a few things fell out and one of those things was the bottle. The lid must not have been secured because pills went all over the seat where i laid the vaccume hose and it sucked up all but 3 pills. Long story short. I've never gone more than 2 days without taking. I cant fill my next rx for 2 weeks. i know its not safe to just suddenly quit taking it since I have become chemically dependent on it. Anyone would if they've taken it for as long as I have. Im 32 years old. Not some college kid making up some fabricated scenario just to feed an addiction. My primary physician is very strict and wont write scripts early. What can I do? Ive been seeing my primary for 12 years and getting my rx's written by her the whole time. I dont have insurance. Havent had it for years. I always pay out pocket. Can urgent care write me a rx just until my next refil?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Adderall 45mg daily

there is such a stigma on adderall that everyone (i feel) will assume Im just like the majority abusing my adderall rx. That I am almost embarrassed to tell anyone I even take it. Do I really want to be judged by going to an urgent care and telling them what happened? I dont know what to expect. Ive never been in this type of situation before.
10/29/2017
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** and I am a board-certified pediatrician. I care for dozens of children, adolescents and young adults with ADHD and have literally written hundreds of prescriptions for Adderall. In my honest professional and personal opinion I don’t think it would be worth your while, especially because you would have to pay out of pocket without health insurance, to go to urgent care seeking a 2 week bridge prescription of Adderall. Seeing a doctor for the first time who does not know you at all, even with a true story such as yours coming from a mature responsible adult, requesting a supply of a controlled substance, will only sound like drug seeking behavior and you will almost definitely be denied and likely somewhat humiliated. My advice would be to contact your primary care doctor who manages your ADHD and to plead your open, honest case with her. She has seen you for 12 years, knows your case well, and has had an ongoing professional relationship based on trust with you. You have a far better chance of receiving a bridge prescription for the 2 weeks you need that way without being made to feel badly than approaching someone who does not know you at all.
By the way, worst case scenario, depending on what your daily dose is, you may even be able to do okay without it for 2 weeks. Are you on the immediate release or extended release form? And what dosage?
IR. daily dose is 60mg. Take 45 when I wake up at 5am and 15mg around 3pm
60mg total a day is the highest daily dose so to suddenly stop would almost definitely cause you significant difficulties. If someone I had been treating for 12 years with the same medication called me at your mature age with your absolutely plausible story who had never shown me any inkling of drug abusing behavior, I would certainly be willing to provide them with a 2 week supply of medication to get to the next refill. My advice is to contact your prescribing physician with whom you have had that long relationship on an urgent basis and earnestly plead your case.
Any other questions I can help with?
you're probably right. I think my primary would if I went in to explain the situation privately. I dont know why im so concerned with being judged. Thank you!
No. That’s all.
You are very welcome! Please click the button to accept the answer. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD