Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dr. Love only, You told me that the pain in the buttocks is…

Dr. Love only,You told me...
Dr. Love only,You told me that the pain in the buttocks is NOT mets.Why is it appropriate to seek analysis for any continuing bone pain? Why if we are so sure it isn't mets?
10/24/2017
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Because it would still be due to something. It is appropriate to seek evaluation for any musculoskeletal pain that persists despite anti-inflammatory medicines to determine the cause and to guide treatment. It would be appropriate even in someone that has never had cancer.

It is not that every musculoskeletal pain warrants evaluation. If the pain eases spontaneously or with the use of an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine or local treatments, such as ice or heat, then that is fine. But if musculoskeletal pain persists despite these interventions, further evaluation is appropriate.

but you are not thinking it is cancer right? What are the bad things it could be?
If it were a fracture, I would assume it would hurt more---when I'm not moving AND more when I am moving--more movements would bother it

No, I am not thinking that it is cancer.

There are many possible causes of musculoskeletal pain. The most common are degenerative or wear and tear problems, such as bursitis or tendinitis. However, there are many other conditions that involve stronger inflammation within the musculoskeletal system, either alone or as part of systemic inflammation.

Yes, most fractures would hurt more. Small hairline fractures or stress fractures may not have much pain, but this is a very unusual location for these small fractures.

Could it be a hairline fracture from mets? Or than would it be more motions that bother it. Or is that unlikely early on with mets?

A fracture from a met would be larger than a hairline fracture.

Thank you. Just to let you know, the lung cancer thing scared me so I went to urgent care. No lung cancer (thank goodness) and no pneumonia either.

Very good. I wasn't really concerned about lung cancer, but it is good to have excluded pneumonia.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor