Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Overly High blood pressure for a few hours with medication..

cold sweats fatigue rapid heart...
Overly High blood pressure for a few hours with medication.. cold sweats fatigue rapid heart beat!!! Can u please tell me what could cause this
10/23/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. There are a number of conditions which can cause this sort of issue. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed an irregular heart rate or rhythm which is known as arrhythmia. This can cause all of these symptoms and would need to be diagnosed with the help of simple EKG and a 24 hour Holter monitor test.
Another cause of this could be a heart issue which would cause shortness of breath as well as other issues. This would need to be diagnosed with a simple EKG.
Lastly these symptoms can also be the result of anxiety or even stress and that would need to be managed with medications.But since this has been present for a few hours I would suggest that you do have this evaluated by visiting the er as soon as possible and get the above conditions ruled out.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.
Well I’m actually asking for my information this is happening to my boyfriend and he refuses to go to the hospital I’m concerned he may be septic some months ago he was diagnosed with fatty liver disease due to alcohol went to rehab but still drinks not as much but still does

Sepsis is less likely as he has a high blood pressure, if sepsis was causing this problem then he would have a low blood pressure.

I saw your other question as well and with a BP of 180/112, he SHOULD be evaluated there is no other option here. If this BP is not controlled he could suffer from permanent damage to the brain or the heart. He is however UNLIKELY to be septic, simply because of the high BP. He can however have the heart problems i mentioned which can cause all of his symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

He is on bp meds and it was controlled until today

Yes but whenever a patient develops heart arrhythmias or even a heart problem, the BP can jump up to this level. Many patients can develop this level of a high BP even when they are on regular medications. The uncontrolled BP by itself is an indication for ER management. Acute rises in BP can lead to heart attacks and strokes even if the BP was controlled uptil ONE HOUR ago. It is NOT only chronic uncontrolled high BP which causes these problems but rather even a sudden acute rise in BP can also lead to these problems.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Thank u

You are welcome.