Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My wife has been having lower back pain and also pain around…

My wife has been...

My wife has been having lower back pain and also pain around the hips that also sometimes travels down to the legs. She said that it feels like it is coming from deep inside her. She has had a paragard iud installed now for 6 months. Could the pain be linked to the IUD. The Urgent Care Nurse Practitioner said that the x-ray showed the IUD still in the proper place and said that they did not see anything wrong with her through the blood work.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No recent injuries, but sitting seems to make the pain worse

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just the Paragard IUD for 6 months now. I have noticed that she has a high salt intake in her food.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/23/2017
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

ok

It is unlikely that her IUD is causing her symptoms. IUDs do not cause back pain.

It sounds like a nerve problem.

I would recommend getting an MRI of the lumbar spine to further evaluate her anatomy including bones, nerves, and muscles.

She has had an x-ray and they did not see anything abnormal on it. Would the MRI be able to tell more?

Yes, an MRI will give your much much more information.

Nerve pain radiates just like you are describing.

I hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
We only get credit for positive feedback on customers we help so please take a moment to rate my services by send 5 stars above.
You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Dr. Scott, Doctor
ok, thanks for your help.
Dr. Scott, Doctor