Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm 25 years old, male, and was recently I was diagnosed

Hi, I'm 25 years old...
Hi, I'm 25 years old, male, and was recently I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome. As a backgrounder, I've been obese for almost my entire life and was prescribed 10mg rosuvastatin, 40mg of febuxostat, and 1000mg of metformin daily. I started my regimen in August. From the very beginning I had diarrhea, but didn't mind this as my doctor told me this was a common side-effect. I made an effort to change my diet, including increasing my fiber intake.In the middle of September however after about 40 days of taking these medicines and in my diet I began to suffer from indigestion and started feeling bloated. The indigestion and bloating resolved itself after a couple of days of trial and error, including changing my diet back to what I was eating before I went on my maintenance medications. My doctor even suggested that I may actually have IBS (in part because they knew that I have had a history of not-very-solid stool.)My doctor and I figured out that it was caused by a certain brand of metformin. I found out because after 5 days of not taking my metformin, I took one 500mg again at night after eating and could not sleep from the stomach pain I had gotten. My doctor recommended I try a different brand of metformin and I switched, and thankfully I no longer have stomach pains. However, my stomach still feels bloated to this day. It goes away when I sit down or lie down, but when I stand up my stomach is hard as a rock.It has been a month since that time and I'm worried because I have not been pooping with the same regularity as I did before I took my maintenance medications. Whenever I do go to the toilet, my poop is still diarrhea (although it's not fully water, but it is very watery) and my stomach doesn't feel settled. I just don't know what's wrong. Does it sound like I have IBS? Is this "constipated diarrhea" a side-effect of my medication? Should I be worrying about something worse?
10/22/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
of course! Thank you for getting back to me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in the Philippines and can't really accept calls, I apologize. Through this website is easier. :)

no problem, the website automatically asks about calls, but we can continue here

how high was your blood sugar and/or HgA1c when you were diagnosed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me add a file and you can see my blood test results
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here is a PDF of my blood test results + urine test results, my FBS was 260.21 mg/dL

let me review....

are do doing any exercise or change in diet as well?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've been trying to do more exercise but I've changed diet before my stomach issues arose. Less carbohydrates, more fiber. Switched from white rice to brown rice, ate more leafy greens, went for high-fiber cereals... that was before the stomach issues appeared

and are you taking a probiotic as well?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When the stomach issues arose my doctor suspected I had IBS and so he recommended I go back to my old diet. And no, I'm not taking a probiotic

I would add the probiotic as well and see if that helps your symptoms.

You can also try the FODMAPS diet which is a food-elimination diet that helps in many cases of IBS

does that answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
for the past... well month now, since talking to him about my stomach issues, I went back to white rice and no leafy greens. I've been trying to move more still however but I'm getting increasingly worried at why my stomach still feels hard as a rock especially when I'm standing. When I'm sitting it doesn't feel that way.

most likely gas and distention is causing your symptoms

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been burping a bit more than usual but it's also hard to figure out and I was getting worried because I haven't been having as many bowel movements as I used to. The quantity is also not as much as it used to be and ever since getting diagnosed I've been hypervigilant about my health
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there something I can do about the gas and distention? Is it really just probiotics?

you can also try a medication like Zantac, Pepcid or Tagamet (H2 blockers) to help with the gas.

Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The bloating is really more my issue than my gas but thank you. So just probiotics and something to alleviate the gas and distention?

yes, for right now, and then if no improvement in a week, try the FODMAPS diet as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay thank you :)

Did my response answer your question?

If so, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD