Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is the best natural supplement to I crease dopamine and

HelloWhat is the best natural...
HelloWhat is the best natural supplement to I crease dopamine and relieve depression. I recently started cutting back in my
Alcohol intake and my main symptom is depression... I can relief the shakes with Librium but seems I'm struggling with the depression and I do not want to take antidepressant ... I'd appreciate any vitamins that I should be taking and that can help relieve my symptoms
10/22/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Sure

how old are you and are you on any other medicaitons?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I am 31 years old ... I take hydroxizyne for mild anxiety ... and Librium and keppra for alcohol withdrawals

the best "natural" treatment for depression would be daily exercise, at least 30 minutes daily. This amount of exercise has been shown to be more effective for treating depression than many of the prescription antidepressants.

Exercise actually changes some of the levels of chemicals in your brain which is why it works for depression (and anxiety)

If you are looking for a supplement to take, I will provide a list....

supplements that might help with depression include:

St Johns Wort
Melatonin (helps with sleep)
Fish oil (DHA/EPA)
5-HTP

does that help answer you question?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
What about l tyrosine ?

less evidence on l-tyrosine than the other supplements listed, but you can try as well

does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
thank you so 5htp is a good choice ? Can I take all supplements listed at once

I would recommend trying one supplement at a time since taking more than one may cause interactions or side effects.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Would u recommend trying 5htp ?

yes, I think starting with 5-HTP would ok.

Start at the lowest dose and increase weekly based on how you feel.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you doc...
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD