Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have what I think is mrsa in my booty pooping is now

I have what I...

I have what I think is mrsa in my booty pooping is now becoming difficult

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes and yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've had staff before

i also had bi lateral hip surgery
before this came about
its embarrassing but the smell is there
that's why I'm online
10/21/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask is your major concern the smell coming from the anal area? Any blood in stool? Any constipation or diarrhea? Any rashes in the area? Any discharge?

discharge and swelling

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Actually it is possible that you could have an infection in the area but that does not necessarily mean that you have MRSA, MRSA is not diagnosed on the basis of symptoms or examination findings, it is diagnosed on the basis of culture reports and blood tests. We can suspect a patient as having MRSA infections but generally the diagnosis is ALWAYS made on blood tests or culture taken from the infected area. Usually any bacterial infection in the anal area would cause pain, redness, swelling and maybe even a yellowish, white discharge from inside the anus or from the surface of the skin. Again a culture is done of the discharge and you are started on broad spectrum antibiotics.

Another cause of this could be hemorrhoids in the area which are also a common cause of this sort of smell and discharge from the area. It can be present even without the classic presentation of blood in the stool. The diagnosis is made on a clinical examination and proctoscopy. Once diagnosed the treatment is povidone iodine sitz baths, increased fiber intake, use of stool softneres and procedures like banding or lasers to get rid of the hemorrhoid.

For now i would suggest starting the use of OTC anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 200 mg thrice daily and also start using betadine sitz baths, which are made by mixing a capful of betadine in a tub of warm water and sitting in it for 10-15 mins 2-3 times a day. But do have the area evaluated for a final diagnosis.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Spencer Chun
Spencer Chun, Board Certified Family Medicine MD
Phone call session started