Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My ENT DR, gave me Ranitidine when I went in for a sinus…

My ENT DR, gave...

My ENT DR, gave me Ranitidine when I went in for a sinus infection, I did not read up on but kept on taking and he gave me a spray to spray for my nose just happened to look up Ranitidine and it says used for ulcers, diarreh and stomach problems I assumed it was for the sinus isssue,, He put the camera down my nose and called it something,Do you know if this med helps sinus issues and post nasal drip. Thank you for your assistance Cheryl Owings

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

No vomiting or nausea. but it looks like this ned was intended for abdominal issues

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No He is an ENT and I got Appt for this ongoing sinus issue

10/21/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually rantidine does not directly effect the sinuses BUT it does have an effect in reducing one of the underlying causes for sinus issues. Reflux can cause repeated sinus infections or inflammation in the sinuses. Acid reflux occurs when the gastric contents of the stomach leak into the esophagus through the muscular valve that normally closes to form a barrier between the two. Sometimes, however, the gastric acids splash all the way into the throat, mouth and sinus cavities, causing inflammation and damage. When this happens, it's called chronic rhinosinusitis. The underlying condition of reflux projecting beyond the esophagus where it can affect the sinuses and vocal chords is called laryngopharyngeal reflux disease.

Although the connection between acid reflux and CRS isn’t well understood, there are several possible reasons for the increased risk of CRS in acid reflux patients. One is that exposure to acid gastric fluids could injure the lining of the nasal cavities, provoking a series of immune responses such as inflammation and allowing infection.

This is why acid suppression therapy has been found to be an effective method in reducing these infections in the sinuses and also helps in reducing inflammation.

So in short your ENT is right in using ranitidine for the sinus issues as he is targeting one of the possible causes for your sinus infection. The second reason he could be using the ranitidine is that if he is given you any steroids or any antibiotics, those could cause inflammation of the gastric mucosa and the use of ranitidine would help prevent that from happening.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I tried to give u an excellent rating but the bad star wouldn't go away. I only wanted to click the excellent star

Click on the 5th star, that will correct the rating, you can change the rating from bad to excellent.

Dr. Muneeb Ali