Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Had a question about cholesterol and high Crp values. My mom

Had a question about cholesterol...
Had a question about cholesterol and high Crp values
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: My mom was a smoker and she has heart problems but she is 83.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have been having cramps in my legs wondering if that is related
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/20/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Please ask your question, also can you tell me what are the values of cholesterol and CRP in your blood test? Lastly what is your age and gender?

If you can upload your test report that would be great. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have the results to load but I have had a cholesterol check hdl 54 ldl 152 and tri were at 105 she also did a cardiac Crp and it was high at 4.5 and homocysteine was at 15 she repeated the cardiac Crp and it was at 2.2 I have been under a lot of stress with two moves and a stressful job situation .. I do not want to take statins I exercise daily and try to eat right .. Lately I have been having lots of cramps in my legs and they feel heavy.. Most of the times I have the cramps at rest not when I work out.. Am I at real high risk .. Every once in a while I have a pain in my heart area but may be muscle related.. I am able to work out on the elliptical for 30 minutes every night with no problems ..they did an echo and I did have diastolic level one and a slight map 0thewise ok..I do have bouts of high blood pressure when stressed but when I check it at home it is usually 115/ 75 at the docs office it goes up to 160/98! I know I get stressed ..will that cause my cholesterol to go up.. I am a overweight some can I help all of this by loosing weight? I am 59 years old 510 and 195 pds

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Slight mitral valve prolapse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the cardiac Crp always mean it is heart related

Actually cramps in the legs can be due to a number of conditions and they are not necessarily related to your cholesterol and CRP levels. The commonest cause of leg cramps can be associated with dehydration or even electrolyte imbalances which can usually be corrected with the help of simple intake of plain water and also with the help of electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade or pedialyte. If that is not helpful then you would need to use OTC anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or muscle relaxants like flexeril or tinazidine.

Now apart from this, high cholesterol levels can lead to a condition which is known as peripheral arterial disease. This is a condition in which there is narrowing of the arteries of the legs due to deposition of cholesterol as well as other debris. This would be diagnosed with the help of a doppler ultrasound of the legs. Once diagnosed the treatment can be with medications to reduce the cholesterol level or medications like clopidogrel. In severe cases statins can be used as well. This could be responsible for the cramps that you experience in your legs.

Now regarding the high blood pressure, since it only goes up in your doctors office and not when you are at home, it is likely to be associated with anxiety or white coat hypertension. This would not cause any problems to your heart or to your cholesterol levels. The problem with blood pressure arise when the blood pressure is constantly or persistently elevated, a single reading in the doctors office is not significant enough to cause issues.

Now in order to help your situation here i would recommend the following,

Exercise to reduce weight which will DEFINITELY help

Omega 3 fatty acid supplements

Red yeast rice supplement which would help as well

Vitamin B12, folate supplements

Soy protein supplements

Psyllium fiber

Niacin

CoQ 10 supplements

Garlic

All these supplements would help reduce your cardiac risk and also prevent the cholesterol from going up even though right now it is not markedly elevated.

Lastly YES a cardiac CRP is specific for the heart and if it is elevated that does indicate that you may be at risk for heart disease, but the above supplements and reducing weight would help in reducing your risk actually.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also had a crush scan to show my arteries in my heart it was at 0.. Do I need to take all those supplements? Is my cholesterol real high? Do you think I can control it with these supplements I do not want to take statins,,do you see the inflammatory markers this high very often? I had a tooth resorption problem and had to remove a tooth would that cause it to be elevated?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I take my blood pressure on my legs to test for peripheral artery dieSe

NO NOT all of them, you can use one or two which would be helpful. I would suggest the omega 3 fatty acids and psyllium which would help the heart generally. Also your cholesterol levels ARE NOT high, these supplements are not to reduce the levels but rather to prevent them from getting high AND they independently help the health of the heart apart from the cholesterol levels.

And your inflammatory markers are not that high either, they place you in moderate risk category with a level of 2.2. This is a common finding in many patients and with the right diet and exercise and weight loss, the risk comes down more often than not.

The removal of the tooth can cause the CRP to rise however a specifc hs cardiac CRP is usually cardiac specific and not affected by inflammation elsewhere in the body but it can happen and since your scan showed the arteries were not really affected, it is possible that the tooth was the case.

Lastly NO taking blood pressure in your legs would NOT help you determine if you have peripheral arterial disease or not, you would need a doppler ultrasound to diagnose PAD.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about the diastolic dysfunction of 1 is that a common finding? The ct scan was about four years ago do I need to repeat it? So you think something would have shown up on the ct scan if my arteries were real inflamed and lots of cholesterol plague in them? Thanks again so much for your wonderful info! You are the best ! I will work on my weight loss and hopefully things will settle down!

Yes grade I diastolic dysfunction is common finding in this age group and it usually would cause no issues in the long run and controlling your weight etc would help prevent it from worsening.

Secondly if the CT scan was done four years ago and the cardiac CRP was done now, then you should repeat the cardiac CT after a month of implementing the above methods.

But in your situation i think your problem should resolve with the conservative measures that i described above.

You're welcome, do remember to leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor