Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have borderline low TSH with normal T3 and T4 labs. I

Customer Question
I have borderline low...

I have borderline low TSH with normal T3 and T4 labs. I showed a heterogeneous goiter on the US but my RAIU showed a homogeneous Thyroid with my levels at 16% (normal is 6-18%) at 6 hours and 29% (normal is 10-30%) at 24 hours. My concern is my results are always right inside the normal ranges but I have several hyperthyroid symptoms including rapid heart rate, tremors, goiter, anxiety, irritability, nightly low fevers between 99.6-100.6. I’m sick often... much more than anyone else I know. It’s frustrating to spend all this money trying to figure out why I’m so miserable to get just inside “normal” range on all tests. Wish I had answers.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Over four years but it’s getting worse with time. My chest hurts a few times a day and just last night my resting heart rate was at 134bpm and I had body tremors. I’m exhausted and angry all the time. I can’t fall asleep easily and have a hard time waking up in the morning. The pressure in my head and chest has become much worse in the last few months.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

If I’m not being diagnosed with sinuses or colds, I’m placed on anti anxiety or antidepressants which are almost seasonal. It doesn’t seem to be the issue and only now is my doctor referring me to and endocrinologist

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

TSH is one of most important biochemical parameter with the symptoms, for determining the guideline for the treatment in thyroid disorders.

You may ask your doctor to get free T3 and free T4 too.

Also with your symptoms and low borderline TSH; a trial of antithyroid drugs may be given to see if you get symptomatically better. This therapeutic response is the best indicator of the diagnosis.

The investigative parameters are average of the big population and many people do not fall in it. So people do need individualized treatment decisions.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.