Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Dr. D. Love is been a time since we discussed my situation,

Customer Question
Hi, Dr. D. Love is...
Hi, Dr. D. Love is been a long time since we discussed my situation, so new updates 3 days back at my 5 months post exposure, I did cd4 test & viral load, and 4th gen hiv test, last time 2 months ago at 3 months post-exposure my viral load was undetectable, my cd4 count was 830 and hiv test neg, so now 2 months after that my results are undetectable viral load as well, my cd4 went up to 1,024, but still I don't get my results for my 4th gen hiv test which is been 3 days, so I called were I ordered the test thru and they told me they were going to contact the lab to see what was going on with my hiv test cuz usually that test came out fast, usually maximium takes 2 days and I'm on my 3rd day already waiting, they called the lab they are not giving any answering , at this point am thinking something went wrong with the antibodies test and they are doing others confirmatories tests before giving an accurate result, I mean even the agency I ordered the test thru they are concerned that is taking longer than usual. I also I have a question if my cd4 counts 2 months ago was less than now, what's the possibility of my cd4 counts going up instead of going down if am hiv+, there is a possibility that after initial infection when antibodies shows up to fight the infection my cd4 are allow to go up, or that's not possible? I'm so concerned, I had never an hiv test who had take so long, that's why I paid for it on order to get it faster instead of having to go to health dep. and wait a week for my results.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
10/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello again.

There are many possible causes of a delay in results of a fourth generation HIV test (or any lab test). Yes, they may need to perform a confirmatory test. There also can be technical problems with the lab machines that are used to perform the test, so that maintenance is required. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done until the result is available.

There is usually no significance to a change of the CD4 count within the normal range. Like most labs, the CD4 count can vary anywhere within the normal range. So, about half the time, a second CD4 count will be higher than the first CD4 count.

However, for people with HIV, there is an initial decrease in CD4, then an increase, followed by a slow steady decrease. But since, there is normal variability in the CD4 count within the normal range, there is no pattern that is indicative of an HIV infection, so also no reason for you to be concerned.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Dr. I will keep u post, thank you, ***** ***** a really bad feeling abt all this delay to be honest. But let's see What's going on, what about been undetectable all this time, does that makes any difference?

An undetectable viral load will usually mean that you are not infected, but there are rare people that are infected with HIV that have an undetectable viral load or a limited viral load, called long-term non-progressors. This is why the antibody test is considered the definitive test to prove that someone is not infected with HIV.

The undetectable viral load does not change that your CD4 count is showing normal variability within the normal range.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Dr. Am praying let's see I hope to get my antibodies test tomorrow. Thank u

You are very welcome. Let me know the results when you get them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will. Thanks��

You are welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr also my MCH was high, does that could have to do anything with an hiv infection? Am curious.

No. And if it was the only result on the CBC that was not in the normal range, it is not an issue for any condition.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, let's wait.. pray for me Dr. Thank u

I will.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
G morning from here Dr. So new updates,, I need go back and give blood again as per the lab they didn't gad enough specimen to run the hiv test,, this is wear doctor, I really think they need extra blood to confirm my status.

It is more likely that they had to repeat some of the tests that are already reported, so used up the amount of the sample that they had.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just did a Clearview tapid blood test and came back neg, and also gave more blood to labcorp to run my test again, could rapid test been not too accuarte as the 4th gen test. I think clearview is only like 2nd gen.

The home rapid blood tests is very accurate, better than 99% accurate compared to the lab based blood tests. The accuracy assumes that a sufficient time has pass and is also based on following the instructions correctly, but at this point in time after exposure, if you followed the instructions, it is very accurate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr. Love just my most recent update,, my results for the 4th gen test came back neg.. this is my 5th month, Im going to wait to next month and test again which is my 6 months mark, I have a question any possibility on testing positive after 6 months been neg if I test neg next month, my flu like symptoms still there and my period still not coming good and I just feel no good , tired all the time,, no energy..Pls help me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or maybe cuz am undetectable my antibodies are taking longer to show up since the virus is not reproducing so fast.?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took this out of the body.com forum,,, so it can take longer than 6 months to show up?? I mean there is no an exact frame of time?

No, there is not a possibility, at least not from this encounter. As I told you before, with the current generation of antibody test, there has not been a single case of someone that has converted after a negative test at 3 months. So, there also has not been a single case of someone converting after a negative test at 6 months.

Your attachment is not from the medical literature or from any peer reviewed literature or guideline. But I provided you with documentation from a valid source. If you do not want to believe what I have provided, that is your choice, but I will not change my answer based you providing a copy of a statement from an invalid source.

You are welcome to repeat the test however often you wish to do so, but the medical literature supports that you are negative and you will remain negative.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi Dr. Love I have 1 more question for you, why if a 3 month test is conclusive as per you, then why you oppened tthe possibility that maybe I could have test poz when the lab requested extra testing at 5 months post exposure ? There is a possibility right ?
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 23 days ago

I did not say that or open with that possibility. My answer was: "There are many possible causes of a delay in results of a fourth generation HIV test (or any lab test). Yes, they may need to perform a confirmatory test. There also can be technical problems with the lab machines that are used to perform the test, so that maintenance is required. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done until the result is available."

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor