Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been taking Xanax for years. Started with 0.25mg,

I have been taking...

I have been taking Xanax for years. Started with 0.25mg, then my doctor increased it to 0.5mg. Was on that for a couple years, but our family went through some really bad incidents and my doctor retired about a year later.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I haven’t got my question yet. Eventually during this time of turmoil and stress my PCP tried raising my dosage of antidepressants. At some point several months he said he wanted to refer me to a psychiatrist to manage my medication and anti depressants. I did and also started counseling. My psychiatrist put me on Klonopin 0.5mg three times a day. Am getting to the bad part. I had Xanax left over when I switched to Klonopin. Now I’m in a real mess. I want to taper off the Xanax and just go with the Klonopin. But I am so scared I’m going to have side effects from the withdrawal of Xanax. I have my Klonopin 0.5 and want to go back to what the doctor prescribed. I should probably mention in 2015 I had open heart surgery and am a type 2 diabetic. What would a safe alternative be for getting off the Xanax? I would still be taking 0.5mg of Klonopin, but that would include tapering the Xanax off. I was thinking maybe 0.5mg in the morning and 0.5mg at night. Would this be a safe amount to start tapering off with?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Thank you so much,

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My doctors know everything about my medical history. I am currently on 200mg of Zoloft and 300mg Of Wellbutrin. But none of my doctors know I take both Xanax and Klonopin together.

I didn’t see your question about family history. Yes, on fathers side, heart disease and diabetes. Mother’s side, anxiety, depression. My psychiatrist said I have generalized anxiety disorder and a few other things which I can’t remember right now.
More info: in 2006 I had a massive heart attack. I was 49. It was 100% blockage of my right coronary artery. I was I cardiogenic shock when I arrived at ER. I spent 12 days in ICU. Have had mild heart attacks between 2006 and 2015. The open heart surgery was my left coronary artery and it was double bypass.
10/19/2017
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
I really want to do this myself. I don’t know what my psychiatrist would say. I’m afraid she’d stop the Klopin, which I really do need because my anxiety is crippling. Since starting on the increased dose of my anti-depressants, I fell a lot better than a year ago. I think I forgot to mention I also take Lamotragine. I was on Gabapentin, but I’m one of those who has horrific side effects... walk like I’m drunk (I don’t drink), no control over my legs, mostly. So we stopped that immediately. I can’t think of any other pertinent information at this time. Thank you so much!

so you have side effects when you stop xanax and are still taking klonopin?

No, not yet. I just came up with plan today.

what is your plan?

Still taking Klonopin 0.5 mg X3 per day.

while you are taking xanax?

I cut all my 1mg Xanax into halves and thought I’d take 1/2 in morning (0.5mg) and 0.5mg at night. I’m staying on the Klonopin (0.5 mg) three times per day, as that’s what the psychiatrist prescribed. She said Xanax has a much lower half life than Klonopin.
After that, I’d switch to 0.25mg once in morning, once at night.

that is a good plan actually

I take them together. I don’t know how I’m still alive. I also take two to three Benadryl and a Primadone. I seem to have a high tolerance for drugs.

I agree

Something else, when I started going to the psychiatrist and she switched me from Xanax to Klonopin and I had no side effects.
you think following that plan will work?
I absolutely do
Yay!! I don’t want to be addicted to anything. It was heading in the direction of building up a tolerance and I was taking two Xanax at bedtime. I think I also forgot to mention I Take Ambien with all these meds. I have to get off the Xanax. I refuse to be an addict. Thank you so very much for listening.
You're welcome