Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I recently tested positive for chlamydia and was given 1

injection ceftriaxone, and 1g azithromycin...
I recently tested positive for chlamydia and was given 1 injection ceftriaxone, and 1g azithromycin, And also doxicyclene 100mg 2x a day for one week.. I finished all antibiotics almost 2 weeks ago. Today while sitting on the toilet I had pain in my lower urethra which I've been getting only when I sit to urinate, today was accompanied by blood in urine..?? Can you tell me what may cause this ? And what is the typical treatment ? Are the std and this related somehow? Am I still infectious ?
10/19/2017
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

These symptoms could be related to a persistence of the chlamydia. The azithromycin and doxycycline are both very effective against chlamydia, and they are so effective that there is usually no need to repeat the test to be certain that the chlamydia has disappeared. However, no antibiotic works 100% of the time, and if there are any persistent or recurrent urethral symptoms, it is appropriate to check for chlamydia.

It is also possible that the chlamydia can persist if the person gets infected again, so if the test is positive again, there may need to be consideration of treatment of sexual partners.

If the chlamydia test is positive, then the doctor may treat the same again, but also may assess sexual partners. If the chlamydia test is positive, then you would still be infectious.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are there possibly any other causes that could be unrelated to chlamydia ? Timing here seems to say otherwise but by chance could it be prostatitis ? Anything?

Urethral pain is much more likely to be a urethritis than a prostatitis, but in reality, either infection can lead to the other, as they are anatomically connected and many germs can infect both sites. There are many other germs that can cause urethritis, such as gonorrhea, mycoplasma, ureaplasma, or trichomonas, but in someone with a recent positive test for chlamydia, the first concern is that it is chlamydia again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. That's really saddening.. thank you for the help.

You are welcome.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor