Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I can't reach my doctor. I take metoprolol 100 twice a day,

I can't reach my doctor...
I can't reach my doctor. I take metoprolol 100 twice a day, plus losartan in the morning and diltiazem in 120 in the evening. this past evening, I apparently took a second losartan instead of diltiazem. My pressure is 172/101 and heart rate is 97. Normally my bp is about 142-145/85 and heart rate in the 69's. I'm not sue for any meds. until about 9 am.
Should i take the diltiazem or wait.or do something else
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take Metoprorol 100 in the morning and evening. also Losartan in Am, don'r remember dosage and diltiazem 120 in the evening. Also, atorvastatin 80mg at ngith and 81 mg Aspirin in am. For breathing, i take advair 250/50 and a steroidal nasal spray in the am, plus an emergency inhaler for asthma, as needed.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had triple bypass surgery in 2003 and a cardiac cath in Jan. 2017, which showed no blockages.
10/18/2017
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

You can safely take diltiazem now and it will not interact with the losartan that you have taken. Diltiazem should be avoided when taking metoprolol but since you are taking this combination under the guidance and monitoring of your doctor this is not concerning or worrisome. So, you should take Diltiazem now to reduce and normalize your blood pressure.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).

It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor