Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My lower left jaw had been hurting for about three weeks. It…

My lower left jaw had...
My lower left jaw had been hurting for about three weeks. It wasnt severe pain, more like a dull ache. This past weekend it became worse. I wasnt certain if it had to do with my tooth or jaw. Yesterday, the left side of my face hurt in general. I had been feeling like my sinuses were acting up as well, so I thought I had either a sinus infection, a tooth infection, or an infection in my jaw some how. I went to urgent care. The doctor prescribed Augmentin, stating whichever is infected, augmentin should work for it. Today, thw pain feels worse. The pain has moved into my cheek and temple area. I think I may also be aggravating it, because I am rubbing it as well. Do I need to follow back up with the doctor? I havent taken any pain medicine like tylenol, or aleve, I dont like to take it if I dont have to. I havent experienced symptoms this bad with sinus before.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/18/2017
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Dear,

Thanks for staying Online. I am posting my answer below-

It sounds like you have temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome or TMJ joint disorders are medical problems related to the jaw joint.

The TMJ connects the lower jaw (mandible) to the skull (temporal bone) in front of the ear.

You should make an appointment to be seen by your regular physician- sometimes they may need to fit you with a particular bite block. In the meantime, eat a diet of soft food- try not to open your mouth too wide and do not grind your teeth.

You can apply ice pack to the side of your face.

Your doctor may prescribe- muscle relaxer, or high dose of NSAID.

A splint or Night guard can be helpful.

Please see your doctor and get this issue managed.

Hope this helped If you have any further question then you can ask me.Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

it probably isnt an infection? Thank you

Dear,

Sorry for delay in reply.

Most likely, this is not an infection.

In medical terms, this is called as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome.

I don't think this to be infection. It is not related with sinus infection.

Please see your primary doctor and get this issue evaluated.

God bless you and take care.

Don’t forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor