Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 46 yr old son has been diagnosed with a viral infection.

My 46 yr old...

My 46 yr old son has been diagnosed with a viral infection. Symptons are chills, headaches, and high fever primarily. He has had these conditions for 10-12 days and has been advised to rest, drink plenty of fluids, take alternating doses of Advil and Tylenol. He was tested for flu and he doesn't have the flu.....should he be seeing some other type of specialist or just continue with this recommended treatment? He lives in the San Antonio, Texas area......thanks, ***** *****!

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

It has been daily and he has them every 3-4 hours......no nausea!

10/18/2017

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Is he being treated by Primary care physician or any specialist?

Primary care and Urgent Care sites....

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

what kind of specialist would you recommend??/

An internal medicine specialist or a infectious disease specialist should be consulted for 10-12 days of fever.

Following investigations may be considered for this prolonged fever;

1) Obtain cultures for bacteria, mycobacteria, and fungi (blood, urine, stool, sputum, spinal fluid).

2) Serologies for Brucellosis, CMV infection, amebiasis, toxoplasmosis, and chlamydial diseases.

3) Serum protein electrophoresis (SPEP) is useful in diagnosing atrial myxoma, SLE flares.

4) Antinuclear antibody titers, rheumatologic factor, thyroxine level, and ESR,

5) High resolution CT scan of lung and CT scan of chest.

6) Ultrasound and CT scan of abdomen.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor