Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

ONLY, I have had right shoulder pain off and on for years.

for Dr. David ONLY,I have...
for Dr. David ONLY,I have had right shoulder pain off and on for years.But now, I woke up this morning with very strong sharp pains in my right upper arm (not shoulder). The pains lasted 15 seconds, started up in about another 30 seconds, lasted 15 seconds, etc. This lasted for about 5 minutes. Massage MAY have helped. But it may not have---the pains were so quick, that it may not have been the massage that stopped them.I have not had the pain since. But I want to know if you think this is EARLY mets?By the way, I didn't lift or do anything unusual yesterday.
10/17/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

pain from metastatic cancer would not go away like that.

you would continue to have it until you started to take cancer therapy or narctotics.

it sounds like a muscle cramp or pinched nerve or from lack of exercise or movement in your shoulder or from arthritis in your shoulder.

it doesn't sound like it is from cancer

let me know if you have questions.

My doctor said it is intermittent for the first 2 weeks. But would it hurt a lot for 5 minutes and then go away for 5 hours?

I a cancer doctor

cancer pain is constant when it is in the bones or muscles

it can be intermittent when there is cancer in the bowels or blockage of the bowels.

My oncologist said it can be intermittent for 2 weeks. But would it be less painful then? Would it hurt every few hours? What do you think? Because this only hurt at 8:30 a.m. for 5 minutes---now it's 4:00 p.m. and it hasn't hurt. Would intermittent bone cancer pain hurt more frequently than that.
how often is cancer in the muscles--I didn't know it could be there?

I think you don't have breast cancer mets to your shoulder.

I think your anxiety symptoms continue to make you worried about small symptoms.

bone cancer would hurt worse and more frequently than what you have

you don't have cancer spread to your bones or muscles.

does cancer really spread to the muscles?
also, the pain wasn't in the shoulder it was in the upper arm
Dr. David,
Please describe what you think my Dr. meant by intermittent pain for two weeks. Would I have it several times per day? Would it last for a few hours at a time?
Dr. David???

why did you leave negative rating?

I am still here

you don't have bone mets to your shoulder.

I asked this question: Please describe what you think my Dr. meant by intermittent pain for two weeks. Would I have it several times per day? Would it last for a few hours at a time?and you didn't answer it in the 35 minutes that I was waiting. You were still there you shouldn't have ignored me. If you answer this question, and there is a way I can give you more stars, I'd be happy to.

you would have pain several times a day

your pain would get more intense if you had cancer in your bone or muscles

you should scroll up and read our conversation , I did reply to you above

You never answered that question. Unless something is wrong with the system?
I will give you more stars if there is a way to do it. Thank you for answering.

your pain would be worse if you had metastatic disease

you don't have mets.

Please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician