Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My question is for Dr Anil if available. The doctor has

changed my medicine from oxybutynin...
My question is for Dr Anil if available. The doctor has changed my medicine from oxybutynin to myrbetriq 25 mg per day. It seems to be helping during the day but I still urinate very frequently at night about every two hrs. As you know I am a type 2 diabetic. Can stress add to my problem. During the day I go about every 4 hours..I have been treatin for this for over two years. The doctor indicated she would raise the dose to 50 mg per day if I the 25 was not effective. Why does it get worse at night. I dont drink any liquids after 6 am.
10/17/2017
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you are having urinary frequency and bladder spasm. The Myrbetriq is a relatively new medication and is effective. Myrbetriq is a single daily dose and should work for 24 hours. It appears that you will need an increase in dosage to 50mg daily. Stress can lead to increased frequency, but usually not during the night when you are asleep. Gravity, enlarged prostate gland and muscle irritability/contraction causes nighttime frequency.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Any additional thoughts, questions?

Is it considered normal to go every two and a half or three and a half hours. At night it is more like every two hours. I have been checked for an infection and dont have one. What would be a normal frequency even on the high side. As I said I have had this issue for about two years

"Normal Frequency" is usually 5-6 hours and at night, one should be able to sleep 7-8 hours without waking to urinate. You may have a very sensitive urinary bladder or a benign prostatic enlargement. Since you have been evaluated for urinary tract infection and there is none, then the cause is one or both of the above. Have you had cystoscopy and additional studies to determine if this is bladder disease? If not, discuss with your Urologist to have additional studies performed to determine exact cause. Once known, treatment can be directed to the actual problem.

Since I have had this problem for at least two years is there a good chance that this is not caner or something serious. I have no pain or bleeding or any thing else terrible. Please give me the best prognosis you can

Based on your age, this is most likely an enlarged prostate gland. You should have had a blood test called a PSA free and total to determine if there is a consideration of cancer, but this is doubtful. If this has not been done, then discuss with your doctor and have it ordered. Also, there are other medications that help relax your bladder and one that helps reduce an elevated PSA making it easier to hold your urine and reduce frequency. If you have not seen a Urologist, may I suggest you schedule an appointment.

Any additional thoughts, questions?

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor