Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I feel pain under ribcage and get confused by the pain. It…

I feel pain under ribcage...
I feel pain under ribcage and get confused by the pain. It is mild pain. Happenen 2 times a day or less. I have normal ultrasound recently and normal CT scan 3 months a go. My liver enzymes are normal.
The pain is off and on for serval months. I have anxiety and ibs. I dont know whether the pain has something to do with anxiety and IBS? What should I do? This pain is difficult to understand and make me feel more worried.
10/17/2017
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is your age and gender?

Is it located on right or left side under rib cage?

Nausea,heartburn?

Cough?

Alcohol and smoking intake?

Are you taking any medications?

Bloating and flatulence?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

I am 26 female. Sometimes right sometimes left.
No nausea. Some time I feel chest pain but dont feel the burning so I am not so sure it is the heart burn or anxiety chest pain
Sometimes I feel bloating. I dont have the rest symptoms that you asked.
I have the symptoms of Ibs like diarhea once or twice a day and occasional abdominal pain. Sometime the pain through to the back. My kidney is normal.
I dont drink alcohol or smoke.
I am using chinese traditional medicine for ibs (containing 5 htp).

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,it sounds gastritis.

And stress and anxiety are main contributing factors.

You should try OTC Prlosec empty stomach before meals and OTC Zantac after meals at bed time for a week to see if they respond.

Also take OTC Mylanta gas and metamucil.

You should start a probiotic.

And eat a bland diet.

You should eat small meals 4-6 times a day rather than large meals.

Avoid eating meals and late night work after 8 pm.

You should hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

Do deep breathing.

Elevate your head while sleeping.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Why is it gastritis? I used to have hp infection and gastritis but cured. In that time, i felt stomach pain very clearly in epigastric, especially when feeling hungry or stressed.
Now the pain is one side under the ribcage, but side of the stomach. It happens occasionally. I read on the forum that ibs patients experience this as well.
Can you help explain?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Well gastritis can be triggered with diet,stress and anxiety apart from H.Pylori infection.

IBS can be linked with Gastritis also and symptoms can mimic also.

So you should try such self care measures for 1-2 weeks.

And if your symptoms'll persist then see your gastroenterologist for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Hi doctor,
I came to hospital and got gastritis. Negative with H.P.
Even when I was not feeling painful in my tomach, I was still feeling discomfort under right ribcage. It is not really painful but discomfort feeling.My liver enzyme and gallbladder shows normal in ultra sound.
I have IBs and anxiety.
Can you explain the discomfort feeling under right ribcage.
If it is refered pain, why the discomfort is isolated from pain from other location? I mean I feel this discomfort alone.

Discomfort is associated with inflammation in gastric mucosa.

And sometimes specific food can trigger such discomfort.

Stress,anxiety can act as aggravating factors.

Take such self care measures as we have discussed earlier.

Why can it be associated with gastritis when the stomach is located on the left? My isolated is on the right

It can be referred pain.