Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Have painful knee. Some swelling. This was not from a bad…

Customer Question
Have painful knee Doctor's...

Have painful knee

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Some swelling

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

This was not from a bad step. Maybe sleeping habit of pillow between my knees

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
10/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Since when are the pain and swelling?

Were any investigations done like x-rays?

I am 83 yrs old in good help and active golfer , no x-rays yet. pain and swellin 2 days using Ice to control

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms of pain and swelling are suggestive of osteoarthritis. This is an age related joint changes.

Following would help you;

1) Physical therapy; this is the mainstay of the management of the osteoarthritis. Stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, mild weight bearing exercises, swimming on the week-ends etc would be helpful.

2) Deep electrotherapy; this entails going to physical therapy center and take care of specific issues which are more painful.

3) Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

4) Diacerin too can be tried which suppose to regenerate the cartilage.

5) Local analgesic sprays

6) Very mild massage.

7) Consideration of hyaluronic acid injection in the joints which are more painful. Some physician may inject steroid too for the pain relief.

8) Warm shower in morning would open up the joints.

9) Capsaicin (Zostrix, ArthriCare) is an irritant derived from chili peppers that provide relief by depleting a chemical that transmits pain from nerve endings. Various strengths are available without prescription. (It causes a burning sensation thus one has to be careful while applying and should wear a disposable plastic glove). This is only used when pain is severe and even on rest.

10) Acupuncture; most popular forms of alternative or complementary medicine, particularly for pain relief.

11) Analgesic patches too are available for the pain relief.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;

http://bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

If overweight is an issue; long term is achieved by weight reduction. High impact exercises should be avoided; like kneeling and bending. These supplements help in rebuild the cartilage;

1) Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil,
2) SAMe (s-adenosyl-L-methionine), 600 mg daily.
3) Glucosamine/chondroitin, 1,500 mg daily.
4) Bromelain, 250 mg twice a day.

Following homeopathic remedies are suppose to help;

1) Bryonia
2) Graphites

Following herbs are suppose to be good;

1) Ginger
2) Cat's claw
3) Willow bark
4) Turmeric
5) Devil's claw

To summarize: Following measures would be helpful in the knee arthritis;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl