Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are your recommendations to people with chronic

sinusitis? What should they be...
What are your recommendations to people with chronic sinusitis? What should they be using? Are there certain foods to eat or avoid? Can you flush your sinuses too much?
What do you think of betaglucan? I’ve heard there a lot of brands that have more fillers than product.
10/16/2017
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Chronic sinusitis is common in people with Allergic Rhinitis,recurrent sinus infections,fungal infections of the sinuses,.This usually leads to stuffiness,post nasal drip and a feeling of being unwell.Use of drugs like antibiotics in longer than usual courses,anti-histamines and decongestants will help.Use of the Neti Pot for regular sinus washes has also been helpful in curing this problem. Betaglucans have been used as immunity boosters,but do not have any role in this disease.Avoiding chemical sprays,smoking,and dusty environment will help.An assessment by an ENT surgeon will help rule out any serious problem.

it’s okay to use a Neto pot almost daily? Or does it wash out the good bacteria? I will rate you. It has been a tough week.

Yes,use of a Neti pot regularly has helped clear a lot of chronic sinusitis in many patients. if it is accompanied by Pranayama/ breathing exercises it will help clear the sinuses gradually,There are usually no good bacteria in the sinuses or nasopharynx.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Thank you.